- PhD: Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Comparative Literature. Secondary Field: Film and Visual Studies (expected 2017)
- AM: Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Comparative Literature. Secondary Field: Film and Visual Studies. (May 2013)
- BA: Columbia University in the City of New York, Columbia College. Major: English. Concentration: French Language and Literature. (2010)
- Film history and theory
- Japanese language and literature
- cross-cultural modernisms and the avant-garde
- comparative arts
- comic arts and the graphic novel
- continental philosophy
- print culture and graphic arts
- dystopian literature
- Russian formalism
- feminist and Marxist studies
- “Nuclear Skin: Hiroshima and the Critique of Embodiment in Affairs Within Walls,” in anthology edit. Matthew Edwards, The Atomic Bomb in Japanese Cinema: Critical Essays, North Carolina: McFarland & Co, 2015.
- “Spirit Princess and the Snow Queen: The Soviet Roots of Princess Mononoke,” in upcoming anthology edit. Rayna Denison, Princess Mononoke: Understanding Studio Ghibli's Monster Princess, London: Bloomsbury, 2017.
Manuscripts in Revision
- “Butterflies, Beetles, and Postwar Japan: Semi-Documentary in the 1960s,” in Journal of Japanese and Korean Cinema, Special Issue: Human Rights, 2017.
- “How Do You Make Literature Studies Relevant?” Post published on Nov 3, 2016 for American Philosophical Association (APA) Blog. Written with Gabriella Lindsay (NYU) and Wassim Rustom (University of Oslo).
- Soviet Daughter: A Graphic Revolution, released January 10, 2017 via Microcosm Press. A nonfiction/historical/autobiographical graphic novel about the Soviet Union, 192 pgs. Author-illustrator as well as layout editor and designer.
- 2017: Modern Language Association 2017 Conference in Philadelphia, PA. Jan 5-8. "Tokyo, 1968: The Political Avant-Garde of the Art Theatre Guild (ATG)."
- 2017: Modern Language Association 2017 Conference in Philadelphia, PA. Jan 5-8. "Where is Cine-Truth? Propaganda and the Ethics of Documentary Film."
- 2016: York University Coming to Terms with Film Philosophy conference in Toronto, ON. May 23-24. "Formalist Acrobatics of the Kino-Eye: Toward an Ethics of Play."
- 2015: UCLA Japan Studies Graduate Student Conference in Los Angeles, CA. Oct 30. "Anthropological Intentions: The Myths and Fables of Imamura Shohei."
- 2014: Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference in Seattle, WA. March 19-23. Panel on Embodied Affect in Cinema and Media. "Nuclear Skin: Hiroshima and the Critique of Embodiment in Affairs Within Walls."
- 2014: Kinema Club XIII: "Three Times + 1" Conference at Harvard University in Cambridge, MA. Jan 17-18. "Japanese Documentary in 1962: Story, History, Form."
- 2013: Midwestern Conference on Literature, Language, and Media (MCLLM) at Northern Illinois University in Dekalb, IL. March 22-23. "Oppression Unmasked: Sex and Politics in Night and Fog in Japan."
- 2012: American Comparative Literature Association Conference at Brown University in Providence, RI. March 30-April 1. Seminar on David Foster Wallace and Nihilist Humanism. "Lethal Film: The Cine-phile/Cine-fetish of Infinite Jest."
- 2011: Aesthetics/Class/Worlds: 2nd Annual Conference of the Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature Department at the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities, MN. October 14-15. "The Ethics of Propaganda: Estrangement and Dziga Vertov's Kino-Eye."
- 2011: Columbia University French Graduate Student Conference on Text and Image. March 4. "Reading Godard's Women: Text/Image Interplay in Une Femme est une femme and Une Femme mariéée."
Honors and Awards
- 2016-2017: Reischauer Institute Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- Summer 2016: Jens Aubrey Westengard Scholarship
- Summer 2016: Harvard Graduate Student Council Summer Research Fellowship
- 2015-2016: Reischauer Institute Dissertation Research Fellowship
- Spring 2014, 2016, and 2017: Reischauer Institute Conference Attendance Grant
- 2014-2015: Blakemore Freeman Fellowship for Japanese Language Study
- 2014-2015: Sheldon Traveling Fellowship (declined)
- 2012-2013: FLAS Fellowship in East Asian Studies
- Summer 2011: Reischauer Institute Graduate Summer Language Study Grant